Free shipping is one of the most effective promotions you can offer. You can base free shipping off of a minimum purchase or as a Shopping Cart Price Rule that applies when a set of conditions are met.
- Check your shipping carrier configuration for any additional settings that may be required for free shipping.
How to set up Free Shipping:
System > Configuration
In the left-hand navigational column under Sales, select Shipping Methods.
Now click to expand the Free Shipping tab-
- To make Free Shipping available to your customers, you'll need to select "Yes" in the Enabled field.
- Enter a title for this shipping method that will appear during check-out.
- Enter a method name that clearly indicates this shipping method.
- Enter the Minimum Order Amount the customer must have in order to receive free shipping. (EX: Orders over $50 get free shipping. $50 would be the minimum order amount.)
- In the Displayed Error Message, enter a message that will appear to customers when the shipping method is no longer available.
- Set Ship to Applicable Countries to one of the following:
- All Allowed Countries - Customers from all countries specified in your store configuration can use this shipping method.
- Specific Countries - After this option is selected, the Ship to Specific Countries list appears. Now you can select each country in the list where the shipping method can be used.
- Set Show Method if Not Applicable to one of the following:
- Yes - Always shows the Free Shipping method at checkout, even when Free Shipping is not applicable.
- No - Only shows the Free Shipping method when the method is applicable.
- Enter a Sort Order number to determine the position of Free Shipping in the list of shipping methods during checkout. (0= first, 1= second, 2= third, and so on.)
- When the configuration is complete, Save Config.
Complete Configuration for Shipping Methods
Make sure that you complete any configuration that is required for each carrier you plan to use for free shipping.
For example, assuming that your UPS configuration is complete, expand the UPS section from the Shipping Methods configuration page.
From here, set the Free Method to Ground.
To require a minimum order to receive free shipping, select Enable in the Free Shipping with Minimum Order Amount.
Now enter the required amount in the Minimum Order Amount for Free Shipping field.
Once you have set up your shipping methods, click Save Config. Then be sure to flush cache in System > Cache Management using the Flush Cache Storage option.