MailChimp is an external tool that can be synced with your GSEcommerce website to help manage the sending of newsletters by compiling information based on your customers' activities on your site. You will need to sign up for a MailChimp account before you get started.
Connecting to MailChimp through your GSEcommerce site is fairly simple. Navigate to System > Configuration, using the left-hand navigational column scroll down to the MailChimp tab.
Here you will see the settings for both MailChimp (customer newsletter) and Mandrill (transactional emails). Click to expand the MailChimp settings.
First, you will need to generate an API key for MailChimp to communicate with your website.
Simply click 'Get API Credentials' located below the API Key field-
and log in to your MailChimp account when re-directed.
An API key will then be generated for you to copy and paste into the API key field on the back-end of your site.
After you've pasted the API key, Save Config.
Once the page reloads, you will see that your Account details are now entered in the field and you can now Enable MailChimp.
Select the General Subscription drop-down menu and choose the MailChimp list to sync with your online store.
Subscriber amount to be sent per run refers to the number of newsletters that will be sent out during each run when the newsletter is in Queue (the process of sending mass emails by sending the email to a set number of subscribers at a time).
You can set the amount as high or low as you want it.
Subscribe On Checkout gives you the option to include a Newsletter Subscribe Box during the last checkout step (Order Review).
This has a few specific options-
- Enabled- Checked by default: The setting is on and the subscription box at checkout will automatically be checked. Customer must uncheck box to avoid subscribing to the newsletter.
- Enabled- Not Checked by default: The setting is on and the subscription box is available at checkout, but customers will have to manually check the box to subscribe to your newsletter.
- Enabled- Force subscription hidden: The customer will be forced to subscribe to your newsletter when they enter their email address during check out. They will not be notified that they are being subscribed.
- Enabled- Force subscription: The customer will be forced to subscribe to your newsletter when they enter their email address during check out. There will be a notification notifying them they will begin to receive the newsletter.
- Disabled: The feature is turned off.
Choose the setting that best fits your business approach.
Keep in mind spamming customers can be bad for business.
Select MailChimp -> Mailchimp Stores, Once the page, reloads you will select "Add new"
After that, you will need to fill out the information for your store then you will click "Save"
Lastly, you can edit or create merge fields to send GSEcommerce-specific information to MailChimp.
The remaining settings can be left alone.
Now expand the Ecommerce tab.
Set the Enabled field to 'Yes'.
For the Subscribe all customers to the newsletter option, it is suggested to leave this set to 'No'.
Spamming customers with unwanted advertisements and newsletters can be detrimental to business.
Now you'll need to clear your cache.
SYSTEM > CACHE MANAGEMENT. Select Flush Cache Storage at the top right of the page.
Now that you are integrated with MailChimp, you can configure settings to utilize MailChimp's other features, such as: