A configurable product looks like a single product with drop-down lists of options for each variation. Each option is actually a separate simple product with a unique SKU, which makes it possible to track inventory for each product variation. You could achieve a similar effect by using a simple product with custom options, but without the ability to track inventory for each variation. Products with multiple options are sometimes referred to as composite product.
Typically, a customer will use the default attribute set to add in-store inventory. You will need to make sure that the dropdown options are added to the default attribute set before beginning to add products.
Navigate to CATALOG > ATTRIBUTES > MANAGE ATTRIBUTES
Scroll through the list and see if your desired options are preexisting. If not they will have to be created.
Now that the Attributes are applied, let's begin creating the configurable product.
Step 1. Create Configurable Base Product
Navigate to CATALOG > MANAGE PRODUCTS > ADD PRODUCT
On the next page you will see "Create Product Settings" which has two changeable settings; Attribute Set & Product Type
- Attribute Set: If you've created a custom attribute set, this drop-down should allow you to select it. For most products, the default selection should be sufficient.
- Product Type: This option has multiple types. The two most used are simple product and configurable products. For products with drop-down options, select "Configurable Products".
Step 2. Select the desired attributes available.
The attributes (drop-down options) that you would like listed on the product page will need to be check marked in order to be used in creating the configurable product.
Step 3. Placing in the product information
After selecting the attributes and continuing, you will come to the general page under new products (default). There are several options available to customize the product, but only 6 of these options are required to save the product.
- Name: This is where you place the name of the product. The input will also show in store view.
- Description: Here is where most would place detailed information and/or pictures describing the product
- Short Description: This is where you place a summarized description. This will show in store view underneath the Product name.
- SKU: Place in the Store Keeping Unit (SKU) here. This will also allow it to be easily searchable.
- Status: This option only has two settings; Enabled/Disabled. Enabled must be selected to show in store view.
- Visibility: This option sets where customers will be able to view the product. For this select, "Catalog, Search".
Step 4. Set the product price
On the left side of the website, there is Navigation Bar under Product Information. Navigate to the PRICES tab.
There are two main fields needed here; Price & Tax class
- When inputting the price do not use the dollar sign ($). Numbers and decimals only.
- Tax class has 3 options. Most products will use the option, "Taxable Goods".
Step 5. Add Images
On the Navigation Bar under Product Information, navigate to IMAGES. Upload files or browse files to input desired images.
Be sure to select the radio button for the Base Image, Small Image, and Thumbnail.
Step 6. Select appropriate shipping warehouse
On the Navigation Bar under Product Information, navigate to SHIPPING. Select which warehouse you would like the product to ship from. If shipping from your storefront, select, "Warehouse - Default".
Step 7. Inventory options
On the Navigation Bar under Product Information, navigate to INVENTORY. This tab contains fields; Manage Stock & Enable Qty Increments. To move forward without error, make sure each is set to, "no".
Because we are creating the base configurable product, the inventory does NOT need to be managed here. The simple products that are associated with this configurable product will determine the inventory available for each drop-down variation.
Step 8. Setting the Categories
On the Navigation Bar under Product Information, navigate to CATEGORIES.
This is where you will set the searchable categories for your product. Check all that apply.
Step 9. Setting the Associated Products
On the Navigation Bar under Product Information, navigate to Associated Products.
- Firstly hit, "Save and Continue Edit" button at the top right corner.
- A section labeled, Quick simple product creation will appear. In this section you will see all the fields required to setup an individual product, as well as any attributes that will be used to create your desired drop-down options.
** In the example below the unique attribute being utilized is "Quantity of Pivot Tubes"
- Autogenerate will populate the name and SKU if selected. Otherwise, you can create your own by unchecking "Autogenerate" and typing into the field.
- Set Visibility to, "Not Visible Individually" so that the associated products will only show under the base configurable product.
- Once options are set click QUICK CREATE. The product that will appear below is Simple Product created. Repeat until all simple product variations are created.
Step 10. Saving the product
- Save the product by clicking SAVE in the upper right-hand corner.
Step 11: Refresh your website
- Navigate to SYSTEM > CACHE MANAGEMENT/INDEX MANAGEMENT
- Click SELECT ALL on the left-hand side, then set actions to, "REFRESH". Once done click SUBMIT
- Lastly, navigate to SYSTEM > INDEX MANAGEMENT
- Click SELECT ALL on the left-hand side, then set actions to, "REINDEX DATA". Once done click SUBMIT