You have the capability to accept checks or money orders as acceptable payment for orders made online. Though these types of payments are uncommon for online orders, it opens doors to those who prefer to use these methods.
Navigate to System > Configuration, and scroll to the Sales tab in the left-hand navigational column and select Payment Methods.
Expand the tab Check / Money Order:
- Enabled- For the payment method to be available to customers, this must be set to Yes.
- Title- Enter a title that will be used to identify this payment method.
- New Order Status- This is how the status of the newly created order when one of these payment methods are used will be displayed when navigating to Sales > Orders.
- Payment from Applicable Countries- Which countries will be allowed to use the Check / Money Order payment method.
- All Allowed Countries- This allows all countries to be able to use this payment method.
- Specific Countries- Only the countries you specify will be allowed to use that payment method.
- Payment from Specific Countries- If you do not want to allow all countries to be able to use this payment method, you can select the countries that you want to allow this payment method for here.
- If you would like to select more than one country, you can do this by holding alt+ selecting the countries you would like to allow the payment method for.
- Make Check Payable To- This defines who customers will make their checks out to when they are paying with a check or money order.
- This can be the name of your business or person.
- Send Check To- Enter the preferred address you would like to receive the money order or checks to.
You can set the rest of the settings based on your personal preferences.
Processing Orders Made with Check or Money Order
When an order is made using a check or money order payment method, the order will have to be manually invoiced before the order is shipped to the distributor via their API.
Navigate to Sales > Orders and select the order with a status of Pending.
Once inside the order, you will see in the top right corner the option to invoice an order.
On the next page, select Submit Invoice.
This will send the order to the distributor and change the status of the order from pending to processing since a payment was captured.
(**NOTE: The order might not show up in your distributor's account right away. The time frame is dependent on the distributor.)