A fixed product tax might be necessary if your store must charge a tax on a certain product in specific states. See instructions below for Fixed Product Tax setup.
1. Login to the admin panel of your site and navigation to SYSTEM > CONFIGURATION
- On the left, scroll until you see the "Sales" section and click the Tax tab.
- In the center of the screen click and expand Fixed Product Taxes section. Then complete the fields as needed.
- Click Save Config, when done.
2. Create an FPT(Fixed Product Tax) attribute
- Navigate to CATALOG > ATTRIBUTES > MANAGE ATTRIBUTES
- In the upper-right corner, click the Add New Attribute button. Then, do the following:
- In the Attribute Code field, specify a unique identifier for this attribute. Do not use spaces or special characters. However, you can use hyphens or underscores.
- Set Scope to indicate where in your Magento installation the attribute will be available.
- Set Catalog Input Type for Store Owner to “Fixed Product Tax."
- Set Apply To to one of the following: All Product Types or Selected Product Types
- In the panel on the left, select Manage Label / Options. Then, enter a label to identify the field. If you enter one label for the Admin, it will be used for the other views.
- Once done, click Save Attribute
3. Add the FPT Attribute to an Attribute Set
- Navigate to CATALOG > ATTRIBUTES > MANAGE ATTRIBUTE SETS
- Open the attribute set that needs the FPT attribute.
- Drag the FPT attribute from the list of Unassigned Attributes on the right to the Groups list. The group folders correspond to sections in the Product Information panel. Place the tax in the Prices Folder.
- Once done, click Save Attribute Set
4. Apply the Fixed Product Tax to Products
- Navigate to CATALOG > MANAGE PRODUCTS
- Filter and find the product that needs the FPT and click to open it.
- Once open, select the Prices tab on the left and find the field based on what you labeled the attribute.
- Click Add Tax Button
- Select the Country/State where the FPT applies
- Click Save.